Many people have asked us why we do what we do. Here is Mike’s explanation of what we think it is:
My wife Robbie and I were visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Incline Village on the shores of Lake Tahoe in Nevada, one of my favorite places to vacation. Our daughter Amber and her husband had just moved into their new condo and they had a spare bedroom that we could stay in. I’m always very tired when I go to the mountains because of the skiing and the altitude difference. So that night I was sleeping hard.
On the way down to Tahoe, Robbie read out loud to our son Christian and I, the story of Amy Simple McPherson and the miracles that happened in their lives. Robbie was just finishing ministry school and I was very actively pursuing a company I had started called Vy. We were starting to come to grips with the reality that there really are miracles today and wondered what our contribution would be to that.
When I went to sleep that night I wasn’t focused on anything other than my family and skiing and having a vacation home in Tahoe! When I’m skiing I go to another place, where it’s physical, fresh air, and I can make choices that don’t affect anyone but me. A lot of times God wakes me up in the night to speak to me, but this time He was using that period just before you wake up where you are semi conscious, it’s quiet, no sound or distractions, and I was wanting to sleep a little longer and not wake up. But, I knew His familiar voice, and because of the topic I knew it must be God wanting to get my attention on something. I tried to stay focused and just relax. I didn’t know where it was going so I didn’t get excited, I just kind of flowed with it.
There were 3 distinct things that He was impressing upon me.
- The first and probably most important was that He said, “I’m about to release some miracles in the marketplace for people that are looking for them. And I want you to create a receptacle or a repository of all the miracle stories that are going to happen. The mental image I had was that it was like a giant bowl, and as God released miracles in businesses, we were supposed to capture, record and place them in this receptacle, so that there was history and evidence of how He’s currently moving in the marketplace.
- The second one was that there was supposed to be a book about this phenomena and the book was going to be targeted mainly about the marketplace people and it was talking about how the supernatural came, the miracles that resulted and the testimonies that were on the receiving end. I really felt like it had to come from Bethel Church in Redding because:
- They’ve taken so much ground and have been the forerunners on modern day supernatural signs and wonders.
- God really wanted to use the megaphone that he had created at Bethel Church because of their following and their network of churches that are fellowshipping with them.
- The third one was that He had uniquely qualified me and raised me to help develop content that would be taught and used to engage, empower and release marketplace ministers. It didn’t really feel like it was to start a school, it was more to take the existing people in the marketplace and help them with content. It could be in any medium; it could be writing, dvds, cds, workbooks, conference related and live. I didn’t argue with the Lord on this one, because I always felt like I had something to contribute there. Out of the three this one made the most sense, but still I was super reluctant to just say yes in my spirit because I was spending full time running Vy and I hadn’t really established any relationships with anyone at Bethel. It almost felt like I was supposed to carry this and maybe discuss it with other guys and maybe let someone else run this whole thing and I would be a contributor. That’s what I wanted in my mind, but God just wouldn’t let me shake it. I tried to shake it off and I remember kind of being anxious as I was becoming more and more conscious…realizing this wasn’t a dream. I had just been given a download from God that was very real and I knew I had to take it seriously.
I remembered thinking at that point that “I don’t want to do this” because of what it would mean. If the miracles were captured and the book was written, there would be a speaking role, and someone (me?) was going to have to travel and talk about what happened and I didn’t want it. I remember distinctively arguing with God at that moment saying, “Lord, I’ll help, but let it be a younger man. Is there somebody that I can take under my wing? Someone that has the energy and desire to do this?” But God wasn’t letting me off the hook. I don’t think He was saying it absolutely had to be me, but He didn’t give me permission to delegate it.
This caused me a lot of sadness or disappointment because I really didn’t have a passion for this but it was almost like God was saying, “I want this to be done.”
I thought, “Well, I’ll just get up, get some coffee and try to sort this out and see if I feel any different or better about what this is all about.” I’d kind of made my mind up I wasn’t going to tell Robbie because she puts more weight in this stuff than I do. I knew she would not only want me to record it but also to pursue it, and I just didn’t have the passion or the energy to really go after this. I kind of went over in my mind …should I tell her? Or not? Finally I was convicted to at least tell her.
At first I cautioned her that she wasn’t supposed to read too much into this and I really wasn’t sure what it meant, as in “don’t overreact!” I finally walked her through it and true to form, she wanted more details than I wanted to give! I kind of remember saying to God, “If you want this then I’ll do it, but it feels outside my reach right now.” And “why me?” I was not plugged into Bethel at all so how could I be on the receiving end of these miracles? And besides, I’m not seeing evidence that You’re actually releasing miracles in the marketplace right now.
I felt like Noah when God said “Hey, I’m going to do something crazy here, and you are a player in this thing and I want you to do something that’s really unnatural and almost impossible but I want you to do it.” Noah had to withstand some of the scrutiny and probably ridicule in terms of “why are you building this boat and why are you getting these animals and what are you going to do when there’s no sign of rain?” That’s how I felt at this moment. I knew I was going to have to face some of that scrutiny.
And that was that. I’d kind of tucked this dream away to think about later.
Fast forward to July of 2011. Robbie and I started Frank Consulting last fall, and have met many people from Bethel and the city of Redding. We started Entrepreneur Bootcamps in April of 2011 and believe we are to try and help create jobs in Redding and bootcamps is one of the ways we can help.
We started to hear rumors and threads of potential miracle stories and Robbie started getting excited about interviewing entrepreneurs and finding out how they got started and what their secret to success was and one of the questions she started asking was “Where have you seen miracles?” So Robbie was the first one to say, “You know we really should get a video recording of these things and post them on our website and when she said that it became obvious this was to be the fullfilment of our assignment that God gave me in that dream. This summer we bought a video camera and we started interviewing, recording and posting marketplace miracle stories, check out all the ones we have completed to date here. I think there’s plenty of evidence starting to emerge that God is doing what He said He would do; which is to release more miracles in the marketplace and we’re doing our part in capturing them on the website.
We’ve just learned over the years that when God gives us an assignment, we don’t always get to know how it’s going to happen, but we do know that when we are obedient, great things happen and He gets glorified.
So, that’s the story behind why we do what we do.
Hope you enjoy this explanation and hope you enjoy the videos.